New Lock Installation
Each day, you rely on your door locks to keep you safe and give you peace of mind. A functioning door lock works when you want it to and helps prevent unwanted entry to your home or property. But when a door lock stops working the way you expect, it puts you at a greater risk of intruders, burglars and other unexpected circumstances.
You deserve to feel safe in your home. That’s why you may want to consider hiring a door lock installer to ensure you have the best option available for your needs. A professional locksmith can install a lock on your door and give you the best results — greater safety and peace of mind. Learn more about new lock installations below.
New Door Lock Installation — What You Need to Know
Before you start installing new door locks throughout your home, it’s important to know the difference between rekeying and new door lock installation.
When you rekey a lock, you only change the key that opens the lock. The same lock will stay in the door, but the original key you used to open it will now be incompatible. The new key will open the lock going forward unless you were to rekey the lock again in the future. Rekeying is a good way to save some money while stopping anyone with old keys from having access to your property.
Installing a new door lock involves the process of removing the old lock and putting a new one in its place. You’ll need to replace the entire locking mechanism and ensure you’ve installed it correctly for it to work. Installing a new door lock is more expensive than rekeying, but it does come with its benefits you can learn more about below.
While rekeying can be a valid option for many people, there are several instances where only a new door lock installation will meet your needs. In these instances, you should prepare yourself to spend more than you would for a rekey. You should also plan to hire a professional locksmith near you for the best results.
Why Install a New Lock on a Door?
The short answer is that it gives you full control over your property’s security. Think of installing new locks as a type of security reset. Over time, you may forget who you’ve loaned sets of your keys to, whether they be neighbors, friends, family members or roommates. With so many keys floating around, you may start to wonder if they’ve gotten into the wrong hands.
There’s also the question of age. How old is your current door lock? What kinds of special features does it have, if any? Does it use the latest technology to keep criminals out? As you ponder the answers to these questions, the answer may soon reveal itself — you need a new door lock.
Installing new locks in your home or business is a surefire way to increase the security of your property. To help you know if getting a new door lock is the right solution for your situation, here’s a list of scenarios where the best choice is to install new door locks:
- Moving to a new home or office
- Old lock has unrepairable damage
- Lost or stolen keys
- During a home or office renovation
- Someone else has keys to current locks
- Your home or office has been broken into
- After a divorce or other change in your living situation
Available Locks to Install
- Knob locks: This common type of door lock houses the lock cylinder within the knob itself. They’re a good option for interior doors.
- Deadbolt locks: Deadbolt locks provide security by turning a knob or key to shift a moving bolt into the locked or unlocked position. They’re highly durable, making them a good choice for exterior doors.
- Padlocks: These locks are freestanding, allowing you to attach them to any door you desire. They feature a looped handle-shackle shape and require either a key or a combination to unlock.
- Mortise locks: These powerful locks use a full internal system of mechanisms to provide excellent security on exterior doors. The lockset houses knobs or levers to give you more security than the average cylinder lock.
- Keypad locks: You unlock keypad locks using an attached numerical keypad that’s either mechanical or battery powered. You can often customize different codes for entry, making them a great choice for property managers.
- Smart locks: These versatile electronic door locks connect to the internet to give you new ways to control and interact with them using your smartphone and other smart devices. Note that these locks require regular battery replacements.
Door Lock Installation Process
To perform front door lock installation, you’ll need to follow these five steps:
- Measure the door lock for dimensions.
- Find a new lock that fits your door.
- Insert the new bolt and use provided screws to fasten it.
- Connect the exterior and interior plates.
- Attach the decorative base plate.
You can also hire a professional locksmith to install your new door lock. They have the tools and experience needed to ensure successful installation with the best, most secure results. Skip the frustration of trying to do it yourself, and let the professionals at Be Secure Locksmith handle your lock replacement needs!
Schedule Door Lock Installation Service With Be Secure Locksmith
Changing the locks on your business or home may seem like a simple task at first. However, you may be left with a damaged lockset or door frame.
Our Gainesville locksmithsoffer you stress and hassle-free installation of your new locks. Changing the locks in your business or home can help you feel safer, so trust the professional and experienced locksmiths, equipped with the right tools, knowledge, and experience, at Be Secure Locksmith to get the job done right the first time.
We can install many different types of locks, including traditional locks, such as Kwikset or Schlage, or electronic locks that utilize a keypad or key FOB. To schedule a new lock installation, or to learn more about all of our locksmith services, contact us today!